Dozens injured as Israeli army removes settlers from Hebron house
Date: 04 / 12 / 2008 Time: 11:01
Israeli forces forcibly removed 250 right-wing settlers from a
Palestinian house in the West Bank city of Hebron, weeks after the
Israeli High Court ordered their eviction.
The evacuation touched
off violent settler attacks across the West Bank.
that there are Palestinian families "who are besieged in their homes"
that were set on fire by Israeli settlers, while the Israeli army
prevented Palestinian medics from reaching the homes. Ten Palestinians
were reported injured as a result of the army's inaction.
Settlers have repeatedly attacked Palestinian homes in the city over the
past few days. Prior to the evacuation, Israeli settlers fired randomly
at Palestinian homes. Settlers set fire to two Palestinian homes and a
store, later attacking a number of residents in the Wadi Hussain area of
Haj Muhammed Abu Aisha, a resident of Tel Rumeida, said
that settlers in the Ramaat Yesahi outpost chased children in the area
and hurled stones at their homes. No injuries were reported there.
Muhammed Naser Ad-Din, a resident of the same area, said that dozens
of settlers who were accompanied by the army attacked residents’ homes
with tear gas canisters and rubber-coated bullets. Cases of inhalation
injuries were reported.
A child identified as Amal Al-Muhtaseb
sustained bruises, along with her father, Abed-Ar Ra’uf, when they were
attacked by settlers near the Al-Ibrahimi Mosque. Settlers also set fire
to a Palestinian fire vehicle that was on the scene in Hebron.
Hebron Governor Hussain Al-A’raj held the Israeli army responsible for
the consequences of the events in Hebron, demanding they stop the
settlers’ attacks and affirming that "the protection of residents who
are in an Israeli controlled area is the responsibility of the army,
according to the Geneva Conventions."
Israeli troops were filmed
dragging the settlers from the building. Police also reportedly used
Twenty settlers sustained mild injuries during the
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak failed to reach
an agreement during a meeting with settlers over the so-called “House of
Contention” earlier on Thursday.
The meeting was a last ditch
attempt to persuade the settlers to leave the building without a violent
showdown with police. Barak now says that he is prepared to use force to
evict the 13 settler families.
Fearing a crackdown by the army,
settlers rioted in Hebron over the last three days, attacking
Palestinians with stones and clubs while Israeli soldiers and police
Settler attacks on Palestinians in Hebron have been on
the rise since the summer, and spiked after an Israeli High Court
decision to evacuate Israeli settlers from the Al-Rajabi home in
The building at the center of the latest controversy
belongs to the Al-Rajabi family, but was taken over by Israeli settlers
in the spring of 2007 and renamed “Beit HaShalom." The Al-Rajabi family
brought the case to court, where the setters claimed to have purchased
the home. The Court found that the settlers presented forged ownership
documents, and ordered the home to be evacuated pending investigation.
Earlier on Thursday, Israeli police arrested ten young Israeli
boys suspected of storming another building near the Al-Rajabi house in
Hebron on Wednesday, as well as a 15-year-old girl suspected of
attacking an Israeli soldier and seven right-winged activists who
blockaded one of the routes to the house.
Settlers invaded the
northern West Bank city of Nablus on Thursday afternoon, furious that
the Israeli army evacuated the so-called House of Contention in Hebron.
Israeli extremists set fire to fields and vehicles in the city
as dozens were injured in Hebron as soldiers evicted 13 families that
were illegally occupying a house that belongs to a Palestinian family.
In the ensuing chaos, settlers set fire to Palestinian homes
while Israeli soldiers arrested several Jewish settlers in the area.
Palestinians and Israelis alike are reported to have suffered numerous
injuries, including teargas inhalation and heavy bruising, medical
sources told Ma'an on Thursday.
***Updated at 19:55 local
Settlers in Nablus set fire to fields, vehicles in
retaliation for Hebron eviction
Date: 04 / 12 / 2008 Time: 17:55
Illegal Israeli settlers invaded the northern West Bank city of
Nablus on Thursday afternoon, furious that the Israeli army evacuated
the so-called House of Contention in Hebron.
set fire to fields and vehicles in the city as dozens were injured in
Hebron as soldiers evicted 13 families that were illegally occupying a
house that belongs to a Palestinian family.
In the ensuing
chaos, settlers set fire to Palestinian homes while Israeli soldiers
arrested several Jewish settlers in the area. Palestinians and Israelis
alike are reported to have suffered numerous injuries, including teargas
inhalation and heavy bruising, medical sources told Ma'an on Thursday.
Israeli occupation forces forcibly removed 250 illegal Israeli
settlers from a Palestinian house in the West Bank city of Hebron, weeks
after the Israeli High Court ordered their eviction.
evacuation touched off violent settler attacks across the West Bank.
Settlers graffiti racist slogans on buildings, vandalize cars
in northern West Bank
Date: 04 / 12 / 2008 Time: 12:11
Illegal Israeli settlers wrote racist slogans about Islam and the
Muslim Prophet Mohammad on buildings in the West Bank villages of Azzun,
Al-Nabi Elyas, Kafr Laqif, Jinsafut, Immatin and Al-Funduq east of
Qalqilia on Thursday.
Israeli settler attacks against
Palestinians and their properties in the West Bank escalated over the
summer, and several instances of riots and vandalism occurred in the
northern West Bank near Nablus, and in the south near Hebron.
Eyewitness to the Thursday attacks reported seeing four settlers write
abusive words and signs on buildings, break car windows and slash tires
in Al-Nabi Elyas.
Israeli forces have reportedly spread
throughout the village of Azzun, though no clashes have been reported.
PLO to UN: Curb settler attacks; protect West Bank
Date: 04 / 12 / 2008 Time: 20:11
A senior negotiator within the Palestine Liberation Organization
(PLO)'s main negotiation body on Thursday called on the United Nations
(UN) to intervene in what he called ongoing settler attacks against
Palestinian residents in the West Bank.
A negotiator of the
PLO's Negotiations Affairs Department, Ahmad Qurie, warned on Thursday
of the "explosive situation" in Hebron and urged the UN to intervene "to
curb settler attacks" and do a better job "protecting the residents" of
Qurie held the Israeli government responsible for the
attacks in the West Bank, calling for all senior Israeli officials to
denounce the attacks carried out on the Palestinians.
the international community, including the UN, International Quartet and
the EU to work toward protecting Palestinians from the settlers, noting
that "these attacks are carried out under the protection of the Israeli