News, January 2008
4 killed in an explosion targeting US embassy vehicle in Beirut
Explosion hits U.S. embassy vehicle in northern Beirut, killing 4
www.chinaview.cn 2008-01-15 22:54:08 Print
·4 killed in an explosion targeted a U.S. embassy vehicle in northern Beirut. ·Local TV broadcaster LBC said all the dead were Lebanese. ·U.S. State Department said the Lebanese driver of the U.S. embassy car was injured.
BEIRUT, Jan. 15 (Xinhua) --
An explosion targeted a U.S. embassy vehicle on Tuesday in northern Beirut, killing four persons and wounded over 20 others, local TV broadcaster LBC said.
The report said all the dead were Lebanese, including a Lebanese driver serving in the U.S. embassy.
But the U.S. State Department said the Lebanese driver of the U.S. embassy car was slightly injured. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said all the four killed were local residents.
McCormack also said that he was not able to confirm whether the U.S. embassy car was the target of the explosion.
Meanwhile, local Naharnet news website reported that two U.S. embassy employees were injured in the explosion, which occurred in the predominantly Christian Dora-Karantina neighborhood.
A source at the U.S. embassy was quoted by as saying that the two U.S. citizens are "embassy employees, they are wounded, but in a stable condition."
"The attack did not result in killing any U.S. citizen," the source said, refusing to disclose further details as to whether the two wounded Americans are diplomats.
TV pictures showed a car severely damaged in the explosion, which also inflicted damage to about 20 cars in the crowded industrial zone.
During the last three years, Lebanon has been rocked by a series of blasts, which started with the 2004 assassination attempt against Telecommunications Minister Marwan Hamade.
The most recent attempt occurred on Jan. 8, when a UN peacekeeping vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb south of Beirut, leaving two Irish peacekeepers injured.
Rice angry over Beirut bombing attack on U.S. embassy vehicle
www.chinaview.cn 2008-01-16 04:40:39 Print
RIYADH, Jan. 15 (Xinhua) --
U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice here Tuesday was angry over a bombing attack on a U.S. embassy vehicle in Beirut earlier in the day, expressing her "outrage" at the incident.
Rice, who accompanied U.S. President George W. Bush in Riyadh on an eight-day Mideast tour, voiced her "outrage" at a joint press conference with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal.
"I want to state the outrage of the United States against the terrorist attack that took place in Lebanon today," Rice told the reporters.
She, meanwhile, expressed that the United States would not be deterred by "intimidation" in its efforts to help the Lebanese people to "resist foreign interference in their affairs".
An embassy vehicle was involved in an explosion in the Karantina district of Beirut around 4:30 pm (1430 GMT) Tuesday, killing at least three persons and wounded more than 20 others.
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent ccun.org.