Al-Jazeerah: Cross-Cultural Understanding
News, February 2020
1500 Pro-Saudi Fighters Killed, 1830 Injured, Hundreds Detained, Saudi Airports Attacked with Yemeni Missiles, 250 Saudi Air Strikes
February 1, 2020
This battle was fought between pro-Saudi and anti-Saudi Yemeni forces for about three days, starting from January 15, 2020.
However, Houthi forces announced the news about it on January 31, 2020.
This battle was fought between pro-Saudi and anti-Saudi Yemeni forces for about three days, starting from January 15, 2020. However, Houthi forces announced the news about it on January 31, 2020.
Yemen’s Operation ’Firm Structure’: 1500 Militants Killed, 1830 Injured, Hundreds Detained
Al-Maseerah TV, February 30, 2020
Yemeni Armed Forces Spokesman Brigadier General Yehya Saree held a
press conference to announce details of the Operation ‘Firm Structure’
noting that the operation started with confronting the Saudi-led
The following news stories are from the Yemeni independent website Al-Masdar ( http://www.almasdaronline.com/category/42 ):
Hadi blames Iran for Marib attacks in meeting with U.S. military chief
Almasdar Online, 30 JANUARY, 2020
Yemen President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi blamed Iran on Tuesday for Houthi military escalations east of the capital Sana’a, claiming that the rebels are operating under Iranian directives in response to the U.S. killing of the Qods Force commander Qassem Soleimani.
At a meeting with U.S. Central Command chief, Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, Hadi said that Iran was “seeking to control maritime navigation through the Straits of Hormuz and Bab Al-Mandab" on Yemen’s southwestern coast.
Violent clashes erupted last week between the Houthis and the Yemeni army after the rebels struck a mosque at the Reception military camp in Marib governorate with a ballistic missile, killing more than 110 army soldiers. Since then, the Houthis have made significant gains northeast of Sana’a, seizing strategic Al-Manara mountain in Nihm district, taking control of positions in Marib’s Majzar district and forcing the government forces to retreat to the Al-Jafra area in the same district.
Meanwhile, Yemen’s Foreign Minister Mohammed Al-Hadhrami, in a meeting with Swedish Envoy to Yemen Peter Semneby, said on Tuesday that the Houthi military escalations were taking advantage of the UN-sponsored Stockholm agreement, which prevented further military escalation around the port city of Hodeidah in late 2018, by redirecting military efforts elsewhere including in Marib.
Al-Hadhrami said that, after talks with the Saudi-led coalition leadership, the Yemeni government is now considering its options in light of the Houthi exploitation of the deal.
Al-Hadhrami blamed the rebels for the collapse of the peace process, and accused the Houthis of seizing 127 metric tons of food aid from a warehouse of the World Food Program in Hajjah governorate on Sunday, though an investigation into the incident is ongoing. He expressed shock at the silence of the international community on the Houthi violations.
Yemen army claims downing of Houthi drone in Al-Jawf
Almasdar Online, 30 JANUARY, 2020
Yemeni army forces said Wednesday that they shot down a Houthi drone in Al-Mutoon district, located in the western part of Al-Jawf governorate in northern Yemen.
Government forces were shown posing in a photo with a drone they claim to have shot down in the Al-Jar’oob front of Al-Mutoon, but they said were unable to verify whether it was a surveillance or reconnaissance drone. The pictured aircraft resembles the Houthi “Rased” drone, which is virtually identical to the Chinese-made Skywalker X-8 hobbyist plane.
Al-Mutoon has been the site of intense fighting in recent days between the Houthis and the government forces. Yemen’s army has been trying to retain long-held positions there, including the governorate compound in the same district.
Meanwhile, Houthi spokesman Yahya Suray'a, held a press conference to announce the rebels’ military advances northeast of the capital Sana’a since last week. Suray’a said the rebels took control of Nihm district in Sana’a governorate, as well as districts in Marib and Al-Jawf governorates without specifying which ones.
On Tuesday, on the other side of the country along Yemen’s Red Sea coast, government forces said they recaptured five strategic hills in Al-Dhabab district in southwestern Taiz governorate after a week of heavy fighting against the Houthis.
Yemeni Air Defenses Shoot Down Saudi Spy Drone in Jizan
January 28, 2020, YemenExtra, M.A.
Air Defenses of the Yemeni Army and Popular Committees shot down,
Tuesday, a hostile spy drone run by the Saudi-led coalition across
Saudi-Led Coalition Escalates Airstrikes on Sana’a, Al-Jawf and Najran
January 27, 2020, YemenExtra, M.A.
A security source confirmed that the US-backed coalition drones launched a series of over 16 separated airstrikes on Khab W Al Sha’af district in Al-Jawf governorate.
The source indicated that various areas in Nihm district located in Sana’a governorate were also subjected to at least eight airstrikes waged by the Saudi-led coalition aircraft.
On Najran’s front, a military source said that a coalition drone launched five airstrikes on Al-Boqa region.
Sana’a Gov. Hands Over 64 Children Recruited by Saudi RegimeJanuary 27, 2020, YemenExtra, M.A.
The National Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs handed over 64 children recruited by the Saudi-led coalition after capturing them on the frontlines to the Ministry of Social Affairs under the auspices of the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
With the Ministry of Human Rights, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor and the National Committee for Prisoners’ Affairs organized in the capital Sana’a, Monday, an event for handing over and receiving children who had been recruited by the Saudi-led coalition and their mercenaries, under the supervision of UNICEF.
During the event, head of the National Committee for Prisoners ‘Affairs, Abdul Qadir Al-Mortadha confirmed that a large number of these children prisoners’ were recruited to defend the Saudi borders.
Al-Murtada added that ”the captured children that we are handing over to Social Affairs and UNICEF are a living witness about who is the party that recruits children, warning that the recruitment of children by Saudi mercenaries continues.
Al-Murtada explained that the captured children who were turned over to Social Affairs and UNICEF will undergo a two-month rehabilitation program and then will be returned to their families.
In turn, the Minister of Human Rights, Radhia Raouh, affirmed that the countries of the US-backed coalition ignore all international norms and proceed with the recruitment of children, devaluing the Yemeni blood.
***Share the link of this article with your facebook friends
Fair Use Notice
This site contains copyrighted material the
use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this
constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for
in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Section 107, the material on this site is
distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information
for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
Opinions expressed in various sections are the sole responsibility of their authors and they may not represent Al-Jazeerah & ccun.org.
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com