2 Palestinians Killed, Dozens Injured, 200
Kidnapped by Israeli Occupation Forces, According to September 20, 2008
Editorial Note: The
following news reports are summaries from original sources. They may also
include corrections of Arabic names and political terminology.
Comments are in parentheses.
14-year-old boy killed near Nablus by Israeli gunfire
Saturday September 20, 2008 18:05 by IMEMC News
Israeli occupation government security guards killed a 14-year-old
Palestinian boy on Saturday morning near the Israeli settlement of
Yitzhar as he approached the settlement, Palestine News Network (PNN)
The boy later was identified as Suhaib Saleh from the village of Asseera
Al-Qibliyeh, near the West Bank city of Nablus. Eyewitnesses said
the boy died immediately upon receiving a fatal bullet. Suheib’s
brother was killed in the same place in 2002.
The sources said that the boy was only 100 meters away from his home,
but since the settlement had been built on land belonging to the
villagers, so was adjacent to villager's houses.
Israeli sources claimed that the boy was in procession of a Molotov
cocktail and a knife. Allegedly, he kept walking despite orders from
soldiers telling him to stop. Soldiers opened fire and killed him.
This claim was strongly rejected by the head of the village council
Sharif said, "The boy was not armed at all. The killing comes in a
series of deliberate attacks on our houses and people."
The Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance service was able to take the
boy's body after Israeli occupation forces kept it for several hours.
Settlers from the illegal Israeli settlement of Yitzhar have escalated
attacks against residents and their property for over a week.
Settlers threw rocks at residents homes, and burned their olive groves.
Israeli occupation forces shoot to death a Palestinian on
Gaza-Egypt border lines
Sunday September 21, 2008 03:07 by Rami Almeghari - IMEMC & Agencies
Israeli occupation forces shot and killed late on Saturday night a
Palestinian man, the army says he was infiltrating, along with two
others, on the Gaza-Egypt border lines.
The army added that its troops, manning the borders with Egypt and Gaza,
spotted late on Saturday night three Palestinian men, attempting to
sneak into the border lines in southern Gaza Strip.
The soldiers opened fire at the three, killing one instantly, while the
other two managed to escape the scene, the army explained, confirming
the corpse of the slain was held for security reasons.
Almost three months ago, the Israeli occupation troops shot and killed a
21-year-old man on the southeastern Gaza Strip border lines, claiming
the man was attempting to infiltrate into Israel to seek work.
For more than 15 months now, Israel has been closing all Gaza's border
crossings, as Egypt keeps the Rafah crossing terminal in southern Gaza
sealed off before Gaza's 1.5 million residents.
Noteworthy, the Israeli occupation army evacuated a 15-kilometer-long
border lines with Egypt, following Israel's disengagement from Gaza in
2005. In 2007, a democratically-elected Hamas government took control of
Gaza after ousting Fatah-allied security forces.
Free Gaza activist injured by Israeli naval water canon while
accompanying fishing boat
Date: 20 / 09 / 2008 Time: 12:33
Bethlehem – Ma’an –
A Free Gaza activist who remained in Gaza to monitor the actions of
the Israeli occupation Navy was injured on Wednesday after being shot by
the Israeli occupation Navy with a high powered water cannon while
accompanying Gazan fishermen 8 miles off the Gaza coast.
The activist, Italian Vittorio Arrigoni, was taken to hospital where he
was treated for multiple lacerations to the back as the result of the
glass windshield of the boat being shattered by the cannon blast,
according to reports from the International Solidarity Movement.
A handful of Free Gaza activists, who sailed into the area from Cyprus
and symbolically broke the siege on the Gaza Strip, have been working to
monitor the sea border of the area, and ensure Israeli non-intervention.
The group has reported, however, that Israeli occupation naval ships
have prevented fishermen from heading into waters even 3 nautical miles
off the coast.
The presence of international activists on fishing boats was announced
to the world shortly after the 28 August departure of the ships for
Cyprus. Reports say fishing boats have been able to head up to 8
nautical miles off shore, where the better fishing waters are, since the
presence of the activists was announced.
The group has documented some of the attempts of the Israeli occupation
navy to prevent fishing boats from moving freely in Gaza waters on
video, and makes all such action public knowledge, in cooperation with
Ni’lin: 7 protesters 4 soldiers injured in anti-wall march
Date: 19 / 09 / 2008 Time: 20:21
Ni’lin – Ma’an –
Six Palestinians and an international peace activist were shot by
live Israeli ammunition and dozens others choked on tear gas during a
protest in the village of Ni’lin on Friday afternoon.
Sheikh Murad A’meera delivered the Friday sermon to locals and
demonstrators before the march, in which he called for unity among
Palestinians in the name of resistance to occupation. He congratulated
those who participated in the event, and called for more actions to
continue the struggle against the wall and settlements.
The non violent protest began after the Friday prayers, and saw
demonstrators march from the village center to the lands confiscated by
the construction of the separation wall.
The Israeli occupation army had placed barbed wire around the lands
confiscated for construction of the wall, and prevented protesters from
reaching the area by firing live bullets and tear gas at protesters. The
group tried to disable the bulldozers working at the site, and succeeded
for a short while.
Four Israeli occupation soldiers were injured when a group of village
youth threw stones at soldiers firing live bullets.
Media spokesperson of the anti wall popular campaign in Ni’lin Salah Al-
Khawjah said that there were seven local children who had been arrested
ten days ago for throwing stones.
Military courts ordered the families pay 3,000 shekels (850 US
dollars). Six of the seven arrested are under the age of eleven and
should not have been charged. The seventh is 14-year-old Abed Ar- Rahman
Al-Khawajah , whose parents the court ordered to pay 6,000 sheleks for
his temporary release, after which he will be brought to trial for
throwing rocks at a soldier.
Teargas injures dozens at weekly Bil'in protest; new route
for wall rejected
Date: 19 / 09 / 2008 Time: 16:18
Bethlehem – Ma’an –
Protesters at the popular resistance demonstration in Bil’in on
Friday were hosed with water mixed with tear gas this week, as Israeli
occupation soldiers tried again to halt the procession of demonstrators
as they made their way towards the construction site of the separation
The weekly protest marked the 26th anniversary of the Sabra and Shatila
massacres, which saw the death of thousands of Palestinians in the Sabra
and Shatila refugee camps. The camps were then under Israeli control,
since the army had invaded Lebanon as part of an ongoing war. It is
alleged that Israeli troops coordinated or at least allowed Lebanese
Phalangist forces into the camps, knowing they were about to carry out a
Carrying banners and chanting slogans lamenting the Israeli actions
against Palestinians in the past and present, demonstrators tried to
access village lands confiscated by the separation wall.
When the group got close to the area, Israeli occupation soldiers fired
tear gas and sound bomb canisters, then sprayed water mixed with blue
dye and tear gas, causing it to be absorbed into the skin.
On Wednesday, a third plan for the separation wall route was presented
to the high court, which has ruled the current path an illegal violation
of the rights of village residents. Since the High Court verdict, plans
for a new route have consistently infringed on court orders to respect
the agricultural lands belonging to the village.
The Popular Committee Against The Wall, who are participating in the
legal proceedings, have requested that the latest plan also be rejected.
Israel kidnapped 200 Palestinian workers during Ramadan
Saturday September 20, 2008 00:56 by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC
Haidar Ibrahim, Secretary General of the General Union of Palestinian
Workers, reported on Friday that Israeli occupation forces have
kidnapped more than 200 Palestinian workers in Israel since the
beginning of the Holy Muslim month of Ramadan. Dozens of workers were
abused then released later on.
Ibrahim stated that while Israel claims to implement measures that
ease restrictions on movement, the army is doing the exact opposite.
Israeli claims have become pure propaganda for media consumption and
delude the International Community.
He added that Palestinian workers are not granted work permits in
Israel and are being chased and harassed while trying to work and feed
During the current month of Ramadan, the army has arrested 200
workers, including several women, and Israeli courts have imposed high
fines on them.
Ibrahim also stated that the soldiers punched and clubbed at least 20
workers even though they carried the required work permits. In several
cases soldiers tore the permits and threw them away.