"Terrorism" & "Islamo-Fascism" Propaganda Campaigns
|Victims||Goals||Islam & Fascism||Muslim Americans||Palestinians||Conclusion||References||Photo Gallery|
Introduction & Questions
It gives me great pleasure to be here tonight to participate in an educational event that I hope to increase our understanding of our world, to contribute to the world peace, and prosperity of all nations, particularly our country, the United States of America.
I'd like first to thank Cleave Pierce and the Outspoken Allies who through their efforts and courageous initiative made this event possible. They have lit tonight's candle instead of joining a long line of others who have been content with cursing darkness, in a whispering and whining tone.
I'd like also to thank the administration of the Emory University which allowed the event to happen as a contribution to increasing understanding of the University community about the this important issue.
I'd like to thank everyone here tonight promising to do my best to make this evening as educational and as enjoyable as possible.
Finally, for those who organized the "Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week" in Emory, if anyone of them is here tonight, I'd like to tell them that I came in peace to educate them about the consequences of this campaign on their Muslim American colleagues here in Emory, and on Muslim Americans in general. I hope that I'll contribute to their education of other world views than their own.
I hope and pray that an atmosphere of respect, love, and desire for peace prevails in this night. I'm not here for anything else.
I learned that a week-long program has been organized in Emory and other campuses nationwide under the title of "Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week."
Before I start, I'd like just to tell everybody here that the mere association of Islam and fascism is painful enough for me and for Muslims to the extent of religious persecution.
It is an attempt to instigate Christian and Jewish students against their Muslim friends, colleagues, and professors. Just imagine if somebody organizes an event to smear Judaism or Christianity associating them with fascism. I don't accept that as a Muslim and I don't expect Jews and Christians to accept it.
In brief, why is the religion of Islam being smeared and attacked, when the conflict is not religious?
Wars have never been launched for religious purposes.
World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Iran-Iraq War, Gulf War, Current Iraq War, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have all started for resources and secular geo-strategic goals.
Then, how can we explain such attempts to blame Islam and smear it?
Why is this attempt to harass Muslim Americans, even innocent students and professors in their campuses?
Is it an attempt to distract the American people, including students, from the real problems facing the United States?
Is it an attempt to prepare Americans for another devastating war, on Iran this time?
Why not organizing "Awareness Weeks" about our major problems:
- The US national debt, which exceeded $9 trillion?
- The influence of oil companies on foreign policy?
- The influence of the Israel Lobby on the legislative and executive branches of our government?
- Our health care system that leaves millions of Americans without coverage?
- The half million Americans who are killed annually by the tobacco industry? (Olson & Defrane, 2000: 32).
- The one hundred thousand Americans who are killed annually by the alcoholic beverage industry? (Olson & Defrane, 2000: 32).
- Why do we have the highest rates of imprisonment, abortion, and teenage pregnancy in the world.
- Why are all these essential problems ignored?
- Are such campaigns to smear the great religion of Al-Islam an attempt to distract the American people from thinking about these problems and expecting their government to address them instead?